IT COULD BE WORSE!

I sat down to write a blog today and then my computer was hacked.  My personal information was compromised, and I was exposed….vulnerability as my world was turned upside down.  I wish I were making this up.  And here I am with pen in hand…what do I write in my blog this week.

And here it is, right in my lap.  Life has a way of placing on the table what needs to be the forefront of conversation.  How to manage the unexpected, those obstacles that roll in front of us out of nowhere.

Have you ever driven by a car accident just after it has happened?  I am referring to a fender bender to which there is substantial damage. I am not speaking of one to which there might be fatalities.

As an onlooker how many of us come to a  slow crawl as we pass by, not just for safety but for curiosity.  Voyeurism is a thing and to which many of us fall prey and I don’t know about you, but I immediately think as well……

·        

      

How did that happen?

                     I hope no one is hurt and all are well?

                                                    Now what are they going to do?

Let’s face it.  We never know how our day is going to pan out.  Let us be grateful for the good things.

We sit in disbelief first because we cannot believe it happened.

  • ·         We assess the situation
  • ·         We take next steps
  • ·         We decide what will happen next.

Here is how we manage obstacles…..any obstacle, really.

We manage them by acknowledging them full on for what they are then we  build the bridge to get over it or around it.

We cannot address something we know nothing about.  And we can’t change it because the moment it happens it is in the past.  We can’t take back anything at this point. 

Assessment of what happened is essential to providing a remedy

In Buddhist practice obstacles are defined as “what cuts our progress”.  What an accurate assessment of how invasive these obstacles can be!    While they stop us in our progress REMEMBER it is only momentarily.  It is so important that we remember that IMMEDIATELY after it has occurred.  It is momentary and it is NOW in the past.  The lesson is how do we manage what is next.  Do we spew in rage, or do we assess what message is being relayed and how can we awaken from what has just happened?  Seems so philosophical but then life should be in my opinion.  I think we should look at life more closely in every action that happens including those obstacles that can bring about grief.

Obstacles can be opportunities and while we might not recognize that initially there is something to the circumstance that brings about something worthwhile.  The present is as they say…A GIFT.  Regardless of the grime outlook it presents itself it is ALWAYS affording us the opportunity to overcome and to use awareness to find the benefit of the circumstance.   When we take a moment to breath deep and focus for a moment we not only dissolve anxiety, but we are also able to better focus, engaging  prajna -wisdom rooted in seeing things the way they are.  We dissolve the power the situation has over us and instead we stand as commander of turning an unfortunate thing into a good one!

Here are some coping mechanisms to help you manage while in the thick of managing an obstacle.

  • Deep breathing!  This calms your mindset entirely.
  • Writing!   Just putting pen to paper  what is swirling around in your mind is wondrous release!
  • Go see a movie  or curl up with Netflix. It'll allow to you disconnect and immerse in the fictional story rather than dwelling on your bad day.
  • Call the person who always reminds you why you're awesome. I read this in an article….totally has worked for me! We need a lift every now and then.
  • Read some motivational quotes!   Need I say more!
  • Vision boards are therapy!  Just did one for this year!  
  • Listening to music!  Better yet listen and dance to it!


I took to a few of these, and I will attest that they do work. I also attest that having the right outlook on what the obstacle is in the first place helps tremendously with (overcoming frustration).  

My life was turned upside down for a moment but there were steps that I took to take back control.  Similarly, if in a car accident, we find a way to move forward.

Deep Breath of Dancing it out…whatever works for you….go IN!  (Inner joy)

To read more about obstacles and how it is observed in the Buddhist practice you might want to check out this article in Lion’s Roar.  ENJOY!

The Path Through Obstacles - Lion's Roar (lionsroar.com)

You have 24 hours each day. Ensure that you’re using them wisely!

Leslie Crudup is Owner of LCrudup Coaching and loves keeping busy if it helps people with their dreams!

www.lcrudupcoaching.com

#busyleslie #beaxtraordinary #beabrilliant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Never Have Enough Time and How to Overcome It

What are the HOLIDAYS, really.

Toxic Positivity and Gaslighting? Really, What is That?